We are constantly being asked “what else can we do with our group in the Ocoee River area while we are there for our Ocoee River Whitewater Rafting trip?”. Here is some information that we give out to our group leaders that we feel makes their visit to the area more complete. Our goal has long been to “sell” our area here in the corner of southeast Tennessee as much as we “sell” our Ocoee Rafting trips. There are many things that can be done in addition to Whitewater Rafting on the Ocoee. Here are a few:
• Take a trip up to Chilhowee recreation area (15 minute drive from the outpost) where you can marvel at the spectacular views of Parksville Lake and the Cherokee National Forest. A short hike leads past the 12 acre spring fed swimming lake to Benton Falls.
• Take the group up to the Blue Hole swimming area at the Ocoee Whitewater Center (site of the 1996 Olympic Canoe and Kayak Whitewater Slalom Events). The Blue Holes are natural swimming holes that are formed in the pools of the Upper Ocoee when the water is not being released to create the world class rapids of the Olympic section.
• Hike some of the many trails that are available in the Chilhowee Recreation Area or the Ocoee Whitewater Center Recreation area. The trails are suitable for biking enthusiasts as well and offer some of the best biking found in the eastern United States. Group bike rentals can be arranged.
• A short jaunt within the county takes you over to the Hiwassee River where less challenging whitewater allows your group to do a leisurely float down the more tame but spectacularly beautiful Hiwassee River. If your group has folks that live to fish, the Hiwassee is a gift from on high.
• Overlooking the Hiwassee River gorge are the spectacular sandstone rock cliffs of Starr Mountain. Sunburst can arrange rappelling outings and technical climbing instruction through our association with Wilderness Safety Consultants.
• Equestrian activities are available in the eastern side of the county in the area known as the Copper Basin. Trail rides are professionally guided.